Read AUSKF VP Kajitani-sensei’s written letter cancelling the Spring High-rank Shinsa
You can download the pdf version here.
Dear SCKO Juniors and parents:
This coming year, the AUSKF Junior Open Championships (JOC) will be held in our backyard, Huntington Beach. It is a great opportunity for every SCKO juniors to participate and compete for the USA title. Not too much details have been released by the AUSKF as of now, but we would like to start practicing now, since the tournament is only three months away. We have an excellent coaching staff, who did a great job in the past as a SCKO Junior player themselves. All SCKO juniors are welcome to attend the practices, regardless if you are competing in the tournament.
Date: April 4, 2020
Location: Marina High School, Huntington Beach
Coaching Staff: Ken, Isabel, Shota, Ray, Haruna, Gen and Hiroshi
Manager: Okawa and Ariga
Tournament Fees: To be paid by each participant
Our first practice will be held on January 5, 2020 (9AM – 12PM) at Butokuden Dojo. If you are interested in taking part of the SCKO team, I strongly suggest you come to the practices. We will be discussing schedule and practice menu. I hope you can all attend.
This is a National Level Open Championships. It means any junior, ages 18 years or younger, that is registered with the AUSKF wearing a Bogu is eligible to participate in the individual divisions. Team matches players will be selected by the coaches and managers.
Please use the form below to sign up to represent SCKO at the 2020 AUSKF Junior Open Championships.
Our tentative schedule is below.
Date 2020 Jr Open
1/5/2020 Sun SCKO First Kick Off practice @ Butokuden
1/19/2020 Sun Kubota Tournament (@ Torrance) or SCKO Godogeiko (@ Long Beach)
2/2/2020 Sun AUSKF Championships Tryout (12 and older) AM/PM @ Butokuden
2/16/2020 Sun SCKO Godogeiko AM/Junior Practice PM @ Butokuden
2/23/2020 Sun Junior Practice AM/PM @ Butokuden
3/1/2020 Sun Junior Practice AM/PM @ Butokuden
3/8/2020 Sun Shinpan Seminar (Shiai-sha) AM/PM @ Butokuden
3/15/2020 Sun SCKO Godogeiko AM/Junior Practice PM @ Butokuden
Week of 3/16 Butokuden International Gasshuku. We will be practcing all day, during the week. If you are on spring break it is a great chance to practice. Gasshuku schedule is here. https://www.butokuden.com/2020/02/03/2020-butokuden-international-kendo-gasshuku/
3/22/2020 Sun Junior Practice AM/PM @ Butokuden
3/29/2020 Sun Junior Practice AM/Send Off Party PM @ Butokuden
4/4/2020 Sat Junior Open (HB)
4/5/2020 Sun Junior Development @ Silverado Park
See you all on January 5, 2020!
Have a safe holiday season.
Note: We expect the divisions to be the same as previous years, but not confirmed yet. The following were the divisions from previous years.
• 9 years-old and under
• 10-11 years old
• 12-13 years old
• 14-15 years old
• 16-18 years old
• 13-years old and under (girls)
• 14-18 years old (girls)
Team (2 teams/federation):
Boys Teams – 5 player
Girls Teams – 3 players per team
Youth Team – 3 players per team
The following are the announced divisions by the AUSKF.
Date: July 17 – 20, 2020
Location: University of Michigan-Dearborn Fieldhouse/Ice Arena (Airport DWT)
- Men’s Individual (max 7 registered participants per federation)
- Women’s Individual (max 7 registered participants per federation)
- Senior Youth Boy’s Individual (ages 16-18) (max 5 registered participants per fed.)
- Junior Youth Boy’s Individual (ages 12-15) (max 5 registered participants per fed.)
- Senior Youth Girl’s Individual (ages 16-18) (max 5 registered participants per fed.)
- Junior Youth Girl’s Individual (ages 12-15) (max 5 registered participants per fed.)
- Seniors Men’s (3-dan and above, ages 50+) (max 5 registered participants per fed.) Seniors Women’s (3-Dan and above, ages 45+) (max 5 registered participants per fed.)
- Mudansha Division (men and/or women combined division, ages 19 and up, 1-kyu and lower) (max 5 registered participants per fed.)
* Age requirements for the Youth Divisions, Seniors Divisions and Mudansha Division shall be determined as of January 1, 2020.
- Men’s Team (5 participants, max 7 registered team members)
- Women’s Team (5 participants, max 7 registered team members)
- Senior Youth Boy’s Team (3 participants, max 5 registered team members)
- Junior Youth Boy’s Team (3 participants, max 5 registered team members)
- Senior Youth Girl’s Team (3 participants, max 5 registered team members)
- Junior Youth Girl’s Team (3 participants, max 5 registered team members)
- Senior Team (3 participants, max 5 registered team members) (men, women or combined team)
- Mudansha Team (3 participants, max 5 registered team members) (men, women, or combined team)
AUSKF @ Detroit Team Practice:
|Date||2020 AUSKF Championships|
|1/5/2020||Sun||SCKO First Kick Off practice @ Butokuden (9 AM – 12 PM)|
|1/19/2020||Sun||Kubota Tournament or SCKO Godogeiko|
|2/2/2020||Sun||AUSKFC SCKO Team Tryout AM/PM @ Butokuden|
|2/16/2020||Sun||SCKO Godogeiko AM @ Butokuden|
|2/23/2020||Sun||Team Practice AM @ Butokuden|
|3/1/2020||Sun||Team Practice AM @ Butokuden|
|3/8/2020||Sun||Shinpan Seminar (Shiai-sha) AM/PM @ Butokuden|
|3/15/2020||Sun||SCKO Godogeiko AM @ Butokuden|
|3/22/2020||Sun||Team Practice AM @ Butokuden|
|3/29/2020||Sun||Team Practice AM/Send Off Party PM @ Butokuden|
|4/4/2020||Sat||Support the Juniors @ Huntington Beach|
|4/26/2020||Sun||Team Practice AM @ Butokuden|
|5/10/2020||Sun||Team Practice AM @ Butokuden|
|5/17/2020||Sun||SCKO Godogeiko AM/Team Practice PM @ Butokuden|
|5/31/2020||Sun||Team Practice AM @ Butokuden|
|6/14/2020||Sun||Team Practice AM @ Butokuden|
|6/21/2020||Sun||SCKO Godogeiko AM/Team Practice PM @ Butokuden|
|6/28/2020||Sun||Team Practice AM @ Butokuden|
|7/11/2020||Sat||Team Practice PM (Gasshuku) @ Butokuden|
|7/12/2020||Sun||Team Practice AM/Send Off Party PM @ Butokuden|
Kentaro Takahashi sensei has coordinated a visit to Los Angeles and will be bringing approximately 20 students (boys and girls) from Kanto Gakuin University Kendo Team. There will be a joint practice as follows:
Saturday, February 16th from 8AM-4PM.
1545 W 31st Street
Long Beach, CA
The event will be open to everyone, although only a selected group of kenshi (chosen on that day) will be allowed to participate in the practice shiai. All other portions of the practice will be open to all ages and ranks to actively participate.
Hope to see everyone there!
22nd CALIFORNIA MEMORIAL KENDO TEAM TOURNAMENT
Dear Kendo Friends,
The Southern California Kendo Organization (SCKO) is proud to host the 22ndCALIFORNIA MEMORIAL KENDO TEAM TOURNAMENT on Sunday, May 27th, 2018.
Please accept this letter as our open invitation for all federations to participate in this annual event. We also humbly request for your support for shinpan to assist us in refereeing at this year’s event.
This tournament’s will have kenshi competing in 3-member teams, with various divisions available for players of all ages and experience. Please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com if you unable to form a 3-person team but would still like to participate! Please see the attached files for tournament information and registration form.
Registration forms must be emailed and fees postmarked by Monday, May 14th, 2018.
We are very excited to have you join us and look forward to your participation and support at this year’s Memorial Team Tournament!
22nd CALIFORNIA MEMORIAL KENDO TEAM TOURNAMENT
1. Date: Sunday, May 27th, 2018 (Memorial Weekend Sunday)
2. Location: Cabrillo High School: 2001 Santa Fe Ave, Long Beach, CA 90810
3. Roll Call: On the tournament date, registration will take place from 8:15am to 8:30 am.
4. Eligibility: Must be a Valid AUSKF Member
5. Event: TEAM TOURNAMENT (three players per team) with the following divisions:
● 12 years and under Kids Division ● Adult Kyu Division (19 years old and up)
● 13-15 years-old Youth Division ● 1st – 4th Dan Division, Over 40 Years Old
● 16-18 years-old Sr. Youth Division ● Yudansha Division
6. Fees: (non-refundable)
18 years and under $15.00 per person
19 years and up $20.00 per person
Bento (Lunch box): $10.00 per person
1) Bento will be provided for all Shinpans at no charge
2) Maximum of 5 full-day volunteers per dojo will be provided with Bento at no charge
7. Registration Form and Fees Deadline: Tuesday, May 15th, 2018
(Applications must be emailed and tournament fees postmarked by this date)
1. Please email your application form to: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Please write your checks to “Southern California Kendo Organization” and mail to:
25581 Mont Pointe #5D, Lake Forest, CA 92630
1. Each team consists of three members. Team members may consist of individuals from the same or different dojos or regions. In the case where members are required, please notify the competition committee ASAP for best possible arrangements.
2. Teams are free to make a fun and creative team name. SCKO reserves the right and discretion to edit names if deemed inappropriate or offensive.
3. 2 CONTACT PERSONS over the age of 18 must be assigned to each dojo. Please provide a contact number or e-mail on the application form.
4. Regulations of the matches will follow “The Regulation of Kendo Shiai and Shinpan” set forth by the Federation of International Kendo (FIK).
5. Tsuki waza is authorized for YUDANSHA DIVISION only.
6. Division Ranks as of May 15th, 2018
7. Age as of May 28th, 2018
8. Each person can only participate in one division and is responsible for bringing their own MEJIRUSHI (Red/White indicator)
9. In order to run the tournament efficiently, please have an adult accompany youth division teams at all times.
10. It will be an automatic loss by default if one is not present at the time of the match. There will be no exceptions for those who have already been declared a loss by default.
11. Team members cannot be modified after the tournament deadline date. However, if unforeseen situations such as injuries occur, the tournament committee will allow dialogue for possible team changes. Please promptly notify the SCKO Competition Committee of any team changes. The SCKO Competition Committee has the right to decline any team changes after the tournament deadline date.
SHIAI RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. Tournament rounds will be held in round robin (as necessary), followed by single elimination.
2. The individual match is conducted according to SANBON-SHOBU, and the chief judge will announce its duration at the opening ceremony.
3. If no winner is determined within the duration, a draw (HIKI-WAKE) will be declared.
4. Determination of the winning team will be made in the following order of precedence:
A) Highest number of individual winners
B) If the number of individual winners is the same, the highest number of points scored.
C) Should A and B turn out to be even, a one-point match playoff (Daihyo-sen, Ippon Shobu) between chosen representatives of each team will determine the winning team.
2018 AUSKF Spring Promotion Examination (April 15, 2018)
Location: Marina High School (15871 Springdale St, Huntington Beach, CA 92649)
Dates: Sunday, April 15, 2018
- 12:30 pm – 12:55 pm: Registration
- 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm: Test 5 Dan & above, Shogo
- 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm: Seminar/Keiko
|5 Dan||6 Dan||7 Dan||Renshi||Kyoshi|
|Testing Fee||$100||$120||$150||$120||$150||Non-Refundable, Non-transferable|
|Menjo Fee||$150||$200||$300||$300||$500||Void in the case of exam failure|
** Application Deadline: Friday, March 30, 2018 (All the documents and checks must be received by the deadline)
Submit the following to VP Promotion & Examination, AUSKF
Please email the following in PDF file to : email@example.com
- Completed Application Form
- Copy of current Dan Certificate (Menjo)
- Essay (Written Test Answer Sheet; must be completed in English)
- Recommendation (by the president of your federation) – **Shogo applicants only
Please mail the payments to: Michio Kajitani, VP P&E AUSKF, 590 Shadowbrook CT, Redlands, CA 92374
- 1 check for Examination Fee
- 1 check for Menjo Fee ( It will be void in case you fail in the exam)
- Hard copy of the application form.
** All checks made payable to All United States Kendo Federation.
** Please do not send cash or money order for Menjo fee
Lodging information: the hotel below is near the gym and special rate applies if you book by March 3.
Holiday Inn Orange County Airport (2726 S Grand Ave, Santa Ana, CA 92705) Phone: 714 4816300
If you have any question, please contact Michio Kajitani, Promotion & Examination, AUSKF